Asus Eee PC 1000H – Installing Windows XP Pro from USB flash pen drive
I have been able to install Windows XP Pro from a USB Flash Drive on my Asus Eee PC 1000H following these steps:
Requirments: Asus Eee Pc 1000H and another XP Machine, Internet Access, 2Gb or 4Gb Pen Drive.
On a Kingston 8Gb PenDrive it did not work, on my Transcend 4Gb it did. You also need a legal Windows XPP Boot CD.
– Download this file TecnoPen2.zip on a working Windows PC, Unzip the file.
– On the folder that is created, open USB_prep8 and execute usb_prep8.cmd and enter any key to continue
– Click Start to format the PenDrive, once done open a command prompt by clicking on Start/Run and type “cmd”, then hit enter. Do not close any window at this stage
– Navigate your file system by command line and go to the folder you have created, example cd c:\Pre-packed\bootsect\ and type bootsect.exe /nt52 G:, assuming that G: is the letter of the PenDrive.
The above is to create a boot partition on the PenDrive so that you will be able to boot from the Pen afterwards.
– Now focus the command promp window where you have executed usb_prep8.cmd before and hit 1 to define where is located you Windows XPP Boot CD
– Hit 2 to define an available letter to be use as virtual drive. For example the letter Z
– Hit 3 and define the PenDrive letter, for example G
– Hit 4 to start the process
– The process will take a while and please type Y to answer Yes to any question it would show you
– Once done, disconnect the PenDrive from that XP Machine and put it into your Asus Eee PC 1000H and switch it on, type ESC during post to pop up the boot menu and there, select the PenDrive
– Your Asus Eee PC 1000H will boot as it would be doing it from the optical CD drive
– Install XPP and enjoy!